up2date not working, Silly question

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 6 09:31:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 00:28 -0400, Joel Rittvo wrote:
[snip]
> Thanks to all for the help, but I think I am going to wait for the FC4
> official release and then reinstall the rhn and up2date related
> package(s) and grab the release package too.  Between those I am sure it
> will be all happy.  Then I will have a clean slate, and I can edit in
> the development repos at that point.

Afaik it is advisable to reinstall a fresh clean copy of FC4 instead of
upgrading your FC4Tx box to FC4. Iirc only upgrades from major to major
are officially possible (eg FC3 -> FC4) and not even then a guarantee
for success.

> Frankly, I think the recent constant breakage of up2date is a subversive
> way to get the last hold-outs like me fully switched over to yum.  It
> may have finally worked here!

Yum has worked so much better for me that I don't know why anyone would
want to hold on to up2date. Choice is good unless imho the alternative
compared to yum is a nice much appreciated attempt from the early
days :)

Regards,
Patrick