Looking for (compat-) libstdc++.so.5

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 20:45:33 UTC 2005

On 6/7/05, Andy Ross <andy at plausible.org> wrote:
> ...improper usage?  Is any search without a wildcard, even it if is
> an exact package name, improper?

yum search libstdc++    works as expected for me, returning just
libstdc++ package
yum search compat-libstdc++  returns nothing as expected no package by
that name.
yum search libstdc++-33  works as expected for me returning the
compat-libstdc++-33 package

FWIW, instead of search to find a packagename you know use 'yum list'.
since search looks into things like summary descriptions as well. list
only looks at the packagename.

yum list "*libstdc++*"
might returns faster than yum search in some cases.

If you think the documentation of yum needs to be updated to provide
additional information about wildcards.. file a bug with yum upstream.
Preferably with the a first draft set of additional information to be
added to the manpage.

-jef