yum update errors

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Jun 8 03:54:32 UTC 2005

Tim Taranov <ttaranov at gmail.com> wrote:

> how annoying it is...When is this final FC4 release going to come out
> and will it even work by then?

If you need something that works right now, use Fedora Core 3. Or wait for
a couple of weeks after Fedora Core 4 is out so the worst bugs are shaken
out when you get it.

>                                 I'm just about to give up on fedora
> altogether and move to Suse or just go and build my own distro. Didn't
> want to rant about it but, considering this thing is just about to be
> released, it's just very annoying to have the updates not working as
> well as simply screwing up the system (the last update apparently also
> apparently broke the console-based logins into my system, together
> with somewhat questionable general system performance - various
> annoying crashes of kde etc)...  basically, I'm quite disappointed in
> this whole fedora experience of mine.

I'd guess you'll have exactly the same (or worse) problems elsewhere.

This is /rawhide/, i.e. "it compiles (sort of), let's push it out to the
world to see if it works too", not "checked and tested to death, no way to
screw it up". Some breakage comes with the scenery.

That said, the problems I've had are mostly minor, almost all fixed in a
day or two as other packages caught up with the new developments. Continued
breakage as you describe are probably due to pilot error of some sort, or
/very/ weird hardware. Or perhaps very low tolerance for errors, in which
case you should stay well away from experimental versions of all sorts.

[Yes, I do fully know that my description of rawhide above is quite a
 caricaturization.]