yum update errors

Daniel Gonzalez dgonzo at optonline.net
Wed Jun 8 10:45:14 UTC 2005

I'm new to fedora but I've been reading the threads regarding certain
user dissatisfaction with portions of the development releases/yum
updates "breaking" their installations. While I can understand the
frustration, you agreed to install a development release. Deal with it.
Complaining about it on the list is not productive or at least, not the
best way to go about persuading someone to help you.

That said, I've been experiencing some of the same problems but have
dove in to try and fix some on my own with some success. It would seem
to me that a possible solution would be if one of the "elder/wiser"
Fedora developers/users could point us to some docs (if they exist) that
would indicate how we could go about modifying repos to make the Fedora
yum utility point to a FC4 release repository and update the system from
there. I'm getting used to the Fedora way of doing things but still need
a little direction (I'm a Slackware refugee).

Is it possible to upgrade via yum from FC3.92-devel ---->FC4 without a
clean install? I'm guessing that it's probably not the recommended way
to do it but I'm tempted to try it just for the educational factor
alone. I'd be willing to document and share my experience with anyone
should they be interested.

Hope that doesn't fan the fire

Dan Gonzalez
IM: signulth