yum update errors

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Jun 8 15:59:24 UTC 2005

Daniel Gonzalez <dgonzo at optonline.net> wrote:

[...]

> Is it possible to upgrade via yum from FC3.92-devel ---->FC4 without a
> clean install?

Probably.

>                I'm guessing that it's probably not the recommended way
> to do it

Yep.

>           but I'm tempted to try it just for the educational factor
> alone. I'd be willing to document and share my experience with anyone
> should they be interested.

The problem with that is that any weirdness you encounter will probably go
away on its own as FC4 packages get updated (and override the broken ones
your system inherited). And the experience won't be too much use for when
you want to do the same from 4.92 to 5, as many things will have changed
(and the brokenness will then be something else entirely). Besides, there
should be few people trying this; whilst all manpower will be concentrating
on getting a clean install of FC4 from scratch or an upgrade to FC 4 from
the range of RH 7.3 to FC 3, so...

That said, as FC4 is a fork off the development version, the wisest course
of action would have been stopping updating a week or so before the launch
date, fix up the repos when the dust has settled and update again (and look
closely for .rpmnew and .rpmsave files left after updating anything, and
perhaps stuff that stays in the old version even with newer versions
available). It might explode anyway...

Scratch "wisest" above. Replace with "highest probability of success,
foolish anyway" ;-)

Good luck!