Upgrade to FC4 final?

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 10 19:28:40 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 13:13, Daniel Gonzalez wrote:
> Sounds promising, but how did you know when to stop updating via yum?

I kept an eye on fedora-devel-list and fedora-test-list, and noticed
when the RH folks said that rawhide had forked from FC4.  I've not done
any (rawhide) yum updates since that point, except for the kernel.  I
was having really annoying system lockups, and the kernel update I
pulled down still had an FC4 tag; no lockups so far with the new
kernel.  I'm not concerned that I have the "wrong" kernel.

> I stopped updating about 1 week ago. That's what i'm trying to find
> out now. What files/directories will tell me where I'm at? My first
> guess would be to read everything under /etc/yum.conf. Agreed?

Jeff gave a nice long reply on this, which I didn't totally
understand. :)  I know enough about the yum/rpm/update/upgrade process
to do it on my own & handle unexpected outcomes as they crop up; I'll
not be following Jeff's guide, personally.

Basically, I will update the contents of /etc/yum.repos.d/ to point to
the FC4 release repos, and not to rawhide.  I will then do a 'yum list
updates' to see what want to be updated.  If it looks good, I'll do a
'yum update'.

There's some slight possibility that I've updated some package *past*
the final FC4 version-release.  I'll figure out some way to do the
comparison if I'm concerned enough about that.

Regarding .rpmnew or .rpmsave files, I generally check those *whenever*
I update rpms, not just when I update from a last test version to an
actual final release.

Certainly, as Jeff suggested, I'll try to ensure that I have the "true"
FC4 (at least the "true" relevant packages) before I file any bug
reports.  It's a good idea to think carefully about & report any
nonstandard things you've done, *whenever* you submit a bug report.
That way, the package maintainer can judge whether your report is not
useful because of your customizations.

David