Are these official fc4 iso's?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sun Jun 12 15:25:58 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 01:55 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 00:50 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 23:34 -0500, Jerone Young wrote:
> > > Havn't had any problems. It's the real thing. If not then a few
> > > package update once the repositories get updated with fc4. It's a good
> > > build. I see no faults in it. Only thing I really do wish is the the
> > > Network Manger app (the wireless app) was mature enough to be ready
> > > for prime time for fc4 :-( . It's there but still has a ways to go.
> > > fc4 looking good!
> >
> > 	I had one experience with that Network Manager such that I would never
> > even try it again, even at gun point.  It committed such random acts of
> > terrorism (broke all my existing connections, totally torched my routing
> > tables, and absolutely refused to be unloaded) that I had to reboot my
> > entire laptop to get it off my system and reestablish my wired
> > connection.  I now manage all my wireless using wpa_supplicant (which
> > handles WEP and WPA-* and WPA2-*) and have yet to figure out what anyone
> > would even want the Network (Mis)Manager app for unless they were
> > gluttons for punishment.
> >

> Uhm, you see, NetworkManager is *specifically designed* to take over all
> networking on the box such that the user won't have install software not
> in the core distro, touch configuration files, reconfigure name
> resolution service, identity ESS id's, configure WEP keys, invoke DHCP
> clients, run shell commands etc. etc.

	Yeah, so I noticed.

	Given that it was some months ago that I last played with Network
Manager, I also remember that it totaled my IPv6 environment.  My eth
interfaces didn't even have the autoconfigured prefixes any longer.
That was the absolute kiss of death, considering that I work as much (if
not more) over IPv6 as IPv4.  Hopefully, newer version are more
cooperative in IPv6 environments as well.  Rule number one should always
be "do no damage".

	:

> [1] : we're adding support for VPN software for instance; more stuff
> like dial-up, Bluetooth networking, integration with wpa_supplicant is
> on the roadmap too

	Don't forget IPv6 and various tunneling mechanisms.  I just discovered
the "Join Project" which was an OpenVPN based tunnel broker out of
Germany.

http://www.join.uni-muenster.de/Dokumente/Howtos/Howto_OpenVPN_Tunnelbroker.php?lang=en

	Took less than a hour to set up my own private tunnel broker service
over OpenVPN, on my colo based tunnel anchor, for when I'm "road
warrior".  Looks like the project may be  beginning to discontinue
service since it was originally 6Bone based (it has migrated to inet6)
and their 6bone POP there in Germany has now ceased operation since the
commercial IPv6 is already superior in performance and management
(that's not on their web site but from some announcements on the 6Bone
mailing list).

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/