NetworkManager (was: Are these official fc4 iso's?)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Jun 13 03:51:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 02:44:36PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 11:19 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> > Taking into account that there exist programs for automatically
> > breaking WEP keys, although a considerable number of sniffed
> > packets is required,

> Certainly - and I know Dan and others are looking into this through
> wpa_supplicant integration. Btw, we don't store the cached WEP keys in
> the clear; we use gnome-keyring to encrypt it.

It does not help you very much with that.  I was talking about
retrieving keys from ethernet packets _sniffed_ over a radio so how
they are stored is hardly relevant.  AFAIK you need big samples for
those key breaking programs but the point is that with WEP you can
collect long enough and a target has no way to check that this is
happening.

> > It is hard to figure out what are preconditions for that, as
> > NetworkManager carefuly avoids what could be taken for a
> > documentation,
>
> Well, you know, the idea here is that things should just work out of the
> box

This assumption falls apart from what I, and an number of others,
have seen so far.  Yes, I wrote myself various things in
"worksforme" category but I never tried to push them to the public
as the best thing from a sliced bread. :-)

   Michal