Installation failure - suggestions needed...

Neil B. Cohen nbc at cisco.com
Tue Jun 14 12:39:49 UTC 2005

I have a machine at home which has been running FC3 and FC4T3 without
any problems. Last night I attempted to install the official FC4. I
media checked the CD's, partitioned my disks, selected packages and
started the install. Before formatting the disks, I got a popup window
that said "Error informing the kernel about mods to partition /dev/hdb2
- resource is busy. This means Linux will not see any changes
to /dev/hdb2 until your reboot...." Then the system forces a reboot.
I think this was my swap partition, but clicking the 'Ignore' button on
the popup generated a similar message for other partitions I was trying
to create (some, but not all of them...)

I tried this twice. Figured it might be hardware, so I used a Windows CD
(ugh! :)) to completely reformat both hard drives. Formatting worked,
but the Linux install failed again. Tried letting Anaconda do an
automatic disk partitioning instead of manual - same result.

I gather that people have successfully installed FC4 from the emails
I've read. Anyone see anything like this? Any suggestions? I plan to
take my FC4T3 disks home tonight and see if I can reload the system with
those... Anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance,

nbc
--
NAME:   Neil B. Cohen (Cisco Systems Inc.)
PHONE:  703-484-1316
DOMAIN: nbc at cisco.com
* Murphy's Philosophy: Smile - tomorrow will be worse...    *
* O'Tooles Commentary: Murphy was an optimist!              *