FC3 to FC4

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.com
Wed Jun 15 17:21:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 12:00 -0400, fedora-test-list-request at redhat.com
wrote:
> Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:28:33 +0200
> From: Cimmo <cimmo at libero.it>
> Subject: Re: FC3 to FC4
> To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
> 	<fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
>
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX ha scritto:
>
> >Is there a program to store account information so it
> >can be preserved across a new install?
> >

> for the next time install /home in a different partition, upgrading will
> be easier :)
>
> bye
> Cimmo
I've had a separate /u file system going back to SCO Xenix.
I keep a tree in /u with copies of /etc/hosts at al.
I also have an "upgrade check list" for things to do for
upgrading *x releases -- double backups juat in case,
and all that.

Which gets back to my original, unanswered question: is there
a Linux counterpart to the SCO Unix programs that store and
reinstall the users' ACCOUNT INFORMATION?  Saving /etc/passwd
doesn't quite cut it anymore.
--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665