screen bug in FC4

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Wed Jun 15 21:26:28 UTC 2005

ons, 15.06.2005 kl. 20.33 skrev David Kewley:
> On Wednesday 15 June 2005 10:43, Cimmo wrote:
> > 1) Someone else seen this bug? Seem to appear only with KDE, at
> > random time. Attachment is very poor because I have to stay under 40
> > KB, just see all the dark part, like window's draw is broken.
>
> Yes, I see this regularly using KDE under FC4 (fully updated).  I
> assumed hardware since it looks like memory corruption, but an 18-hour
> memtest86 shows no problems.  I figured it might be my video card (even
> though it works for playing Win2k games), but since you see it too, I
> guess not.
>
> Sometimes I'm able to fix it with switching to a text vt & back, but
> sometimes nothing works and I have to hit the reset button.  (I don't
> have another machine at home from which to try to ssh in.)
>
> > my conf:
> > FC4-x86_64 final
> > Athlon64 3000+
> > 1 GB of ram
> > GeForce6600 GT
> > nv module (no nvidia module installed yet)
>
> mine:
> FC4 x86_64 final
>   (upgraded, admittedly, from FC4t3, where I also saw this problem)
> MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Nforce3)
> Athlon64 3000+, Venice core
> GeForce 6800 (by Gigabyte)
> 1.5 GB of ram (also happened when I had 1GB)
> nv module
>
> I am only just now updating the xorg update packages that were released
> (today?) -- let's see if the problem doesn't reappear.
>
> David

I had a similar problem with a vodoo 3 PCI card on fc2 - assumed it was
a defective card, switched it to a gforce 2, and it worked.

It would randomly crash, making the screen flicker (like a wrong
frequency). Most of the time i was able to switch consoles back an forth
to restore, but sometimes i wasn't possible. I was however able to ssh
in from another machine, even if it looked like something was terribly
wrong - the connection ligths on the switch turned on and off at random,
and the floppy/cd drive ligths was blinking like they use to during
kudzu.

On fc3 early days, there was also a bug with the intel gfx drivers that
caused the screen to "hang" - patches of it wasn't redrawn.

Kyrre