webcam problem (pwc)

Simon Lanzmich WormLineFiles at gmx.de
Thu Jun 16 15:41:20 UTC 2005

I have a problem with my Philips ToUcam Pro (Philips 740 webcam, using
the pwc module) on both FC4 and a Fedora development system. When I try
to start camorama, it says:
 Could not connect to video device (/dev/video1).
 Please check connection.
and aborts.

dmesg says right after boot:
 pwc Philips webcam module version 9.0.2-unofficial loaded.
 pwc Supports Philips PCA645/646, PCVC675/680/690,
 PCVC720[40]/730/740/750 & PCVC830/840.
 pwc Also supports the Askey VC010, various Logitech Quickcams, Samsung
 MPC-C10 and MPC-C30,
 pwc the Creative WebCam 5 & Pro Ex, SOTEC Afina Eye and Visionite
 VCS-UC300 and VCS-UM100.
 pwc Default framerate set to 30.
 pwc Philips PCVC740K (ToUCam Pro)/PCVC840 (ToUCam II) USB webcam
 detected.
 pwc Registered as /dev/video1.
 usbcore: registered new driver Philips webcam

After trying to start camorama, dmesg says:
 pwc Failed to set LED on/off time.
 pwc type = 740
 pwc Failed to allocate decompress table.

However, the integrated microphone works.
The cam works well on FC3, but I can't say when it stopped working,
because I don't use the cam very often.

Any ideas?

Simon