Local yum repo

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Jun 17 21:21:45 UTC 2005

On Friday 17 June 2005 16:17, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 03:28:37PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > I think I can accomplish what I want to do (see what is available from
> > > the mirror list and install only install from my local repo) by using
> > > --enablerepo=<> or --disablerepro=<> on the yum command line.  This is
> > > a bit more manual but not much.  If the manual entry becomes error
> > > prone or tedious, some script files should simplify things.
> >
> > why not just treat your local repo as your own mirror and remove the
> > remote site from your .repo files?
>
> I think that Gene is concerned that a local mirror may be not always
> in a sufficiently updated state and then one should look somewhere
> further.
>
> I did not try that but I wonder if something like that would not
> work in 'fedora-updates.repo' file

> failovermethod=priority
> baseurl=<url_for_a_local_mirror_here>
> mirrorlist=http://....
>
> A default 'failovermethod' is 'roundrobin' according to a manpage of
> yum.conf.  Or this will affect too an order in which entries from a
> mirrorlist are picked up or it will not work at all?
>
> One possible workaround is to rewrite 'baseurl' list on every
> yum invocation with a local mirror always on the first place and
> the rest of this list "randomized" while using 'priority' for
> a 'failovermethod'.  That is easy to do.

I pretty sure this will not work.

For right now, I am disabling the regular updates-released but enabling my
local version.  If I then want to check for other available updates, I use
   yum --enablerepo=updates-released  check-update

This seems to do what I want.

One question that is a puzzle is how yum (or update for that matter) figures
the order in which access the repositories.  If I could tell it to first look
in local and then look at the mirrorlist, that would be better but that does
not seem possible.
--
Gene