fstab error on boot

Mike Lurk mikelurk at rogers.com
Sat Jun 18 17:21:15 UTC 2005

I don't know if anyone else had this problem after a fresh install of
FC4 from the DVD iso, but it happened to me. I did a manual disk
partition using disk druid and chose what I wanted to install. The
install went fine untill I did a reboot, after firstboot, and I got an
error with fstab, damaged fstab error line 7 ignoring remainder ( I
think that was the error as I didn't write it down).
The only way that I could edit fstab was using vi in a terminal window.
Looking at fstab I found that line 7 was for my swap file it read;

LABEL=pool s@@@@@sap   swap            swap

or something like that. I had changed it to what it should be and saved
it. Rebooted and everything booted normally, with no errors.
Before the fstab was fixed I could not use my cd or DVD burner, it
wouldn't even find my externel hard drive. I don't know what caused the
problem but I am glad it was an easy fix.

I didn't have this problem when I installed FC4T3 from DVD.

Mike