FC5 Wishlist

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Jun 20 18:43:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:01:22AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >Then work on a script which generates a web page out of not-closed
> >bugzilla RFEs in pretty-print, with links to the bug filings. Then you
> >have your pretty overview for people who can't query bugzilla for RFEs.
>
> are you volunteering to do that. We would love to have such wonderful
> scripts

No, I'm not. I don't see a problem that is to be solved.

> >Well, I don't fully understand the seperation of fedora-devel and -test
> >either.
>
> There is a difference between testing and development.

Not really. The seperation between the lists is supposed to be "test
releases" and "rawhide". Can you name anyone who is only interested in
-test but not -devel? Or in -devel but not -test? I doubt there are
(m)any. Test releases are basically devel snapshots.

> >But having bad examples doesn't excuse making the mess even
> >bigger. See also the "web forum" thing regarding end user question
> >support. There was AND IS fedora-list, (now) _and_ "web forums". Can we
> >please decide to EITHER use mailing list OR clickety-click-all-colorful?
> >
> some people prefer forums. others prefer mailing lists. You can force
> everyone to use the same medium

Yes you can. Otherwise you force other people to monitor MULTIPLE places
instead of just one. And mailing lists are easy to monitor, compared to
the clicky-click orgys of "web forums". And of course, it just
duplicates efforts (same questions to answer or topics to discuss in
multiple places). The usual excuse for such "web forums" are bad MUA
software. Educate people to use proper software, and suddenly mailing
lists are fine. Don't try to cure symptoms, fix the root causes.

Guys, following all that stuff is already very hard. Don't make it
harder and harder by constantly opening new venues to monitor.

Regards,
Daniel