PowerNow cool and quiet

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 19:23:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:17:04PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
 > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Dave Jones wrote:
 > > On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:28:15PM +0300, blackman at pharm.uoa.gr wrote:
 > >  > It seems that powernow cool and quiet is not compiled since when I modprobe
 > >  > powernow_k8 says fatal module not found... So I got no cool and quiet...
 > > It's not modular, but built statically into the x86-64 kernel.
 > > It's only a module on x86.
 >
 > Why is it a module on x86 but not x86-64?

historical reasons. Initially, the x84-64 platform only supported powernow-k8,
so there was little reason to make it modular.  With the advent of Intel's
EM64T's with speedstep however, it's no longer the case.
I need to have a big sweep-n-clear of the config options. There's a bunch
of others that are enabled but shouldn't be, and vice versa..

		Dave