FC5 Wishlist

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Jun 20 19:25:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 03:02:23PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 6/20/05, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:
> > Then work on a script which generates a web page out of not-closed
> > bugzilla RFEs in pretty-print, with links to the bug filings. Then you
> > have your pretty overview for people who can't query bugzilla for RFEs.
>
> Actually.. no... it wouldnt... I think part of the point of the wiki
> page is to hilight certain feature requests where there is some
> agreement that this is a worthwhile feature..

Agreement between whom?

> Another point of the wiki pages was to provide an
> editorial summary of discussions that happen here on the mailinglists.

That's fine. But then the comment "add it to the Wiki" toward people who
bring up ideas on the mailing lists is just wrong. And exactly that
happened and was what I commented on.

> The wiki is NOT meant to replace bugzilla as a tracking tool. Its
> meant to supplement discussion which sprawls over month long circular
> threads in the
> mailinglists to provide a central point of information and informed
> opinion about what people are thinking and already talking about about
> in the lists.

Fact is that someone proposed InfiniBand support and another one (Rahul)
has sent him to the Wiki to add it there. So he promoted the Wiki as
the means to collect RFEs.

> > I find hyping Wikis for everything that remotely resembles "information"
> > annoying.
>
> Either it will be a popular tool or it won't be.

> I believe you have
> expressed your opinion. Now that its on record in the lists you won't
> have to express your opinion again. I'm sure when the wiki issue comes
> up again everyone who wants your opinion can easily access the
> mainglist archives and find your opinion on the matter. There will be
> absolutely no need to duplicate your opinion again anywhere on the
> internet.

You need many words for a simple "STFU".

> >But having bad examples doesn't excuse making the mess even
> > bigger. See also the "web forum" thing regarding end user question
> > support. There was AND IS fedora-list, (now) _and_ "web forums". Can we
> > please decide to EITHER use mailing list OR clickety-click-all-colorful?
>
> Why must we have just one?

I've answered this question already in verbosity. Just don't ignore the
arguments presented.

> But I look forward to the clockwork efficiency of Earth's future under
> your benevolent rule.

Now you resort to personal attacks. How cheap.

> Its more likely you misunderstand what is going on.. and are assuming
> that people are trying to replace bugzilla as a tracking tool with the
> wiki... which is not the case.

Then don't promote it as such like Rahul did.