Yet again: several missing update announcements

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 21:18:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 07:02:45PM +0200, Bernd Bartmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yet again several updates have appeared for FC3/4 on the download
> mirrors, but some of them were never announced on
> fedora-announce-list. Even more confusing is that "Fedora Weekly News
> Issue #1" lists some of the missing announcements but not all. As FC4
> is out now I've also created a bugzilla tracking bug for the missing
> announcements.  So here is the list of what's currently missing:

> gamin-0.1.1-1.FC4, released 2005-06-14, #161113
[...]
> Can we please get this problem fixed once and for all if not for the
> older FC released but at least starting with FC4?

  Currently as a maintainer, pushing a fedora update I need

    step 1/ to build the update in the appropriate channel
    step 2/ label it with an unique number
    step 3/ ask and wait for it to be pushed
    step 4/ once pushed use a very unconvenient script to
            generate the boilerplate for the announcement
    step 5/ mail the announcement

 1/ 2/ and 3/ are under my control, I do them in batch, then there
is an asynchronous mechanism, and then after "some" time I need to do
the messy 4/ and 5/ steps.

Concusion:
  Being a lazy computer guy (remember it's a virtue) once 3/ is done
  I tend to think I have done my part, the bits are out, and I don't
  feel compelled at all to go to 4/ and 5/
  Moreover, getting bug reports about missing announcement just generate
  frustration, I don't like pushing updates as a result, and if you
  were among the ones who waited 3 months for a gamin official update
  on FC3 between 0.0.25 and 0.1.1 you know why now, I just hate pushing
  updates but the srpms are available on my home page.

  Now if you want the reason why gamin-0.1.1 was pushed:
    - on FC3 it fixes the zillion bugs present and found in 0.0.25
    - on FC4 it fixes the desktop update on dynamically mounted
      USB media

  Writing this mail is way less painful than sending the real announcements.
If I hadn't the Damocles sword of those missing update bug reports, I would
probably push bug fixes faster. Whether I must be whipped for being lazy,
or the tool for pushing announcement need to be changed or missing announcement
should not be considered bugs, there is a choice, the current situation
does not seems pleasant to you, it's not really for me either.

Daniel