Booting from SATA drive

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 19:36:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 11:51 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> This is an amplification on the previous report of booting
> difficulties from a SATA drive.
>
> System has three IDE drives + DVD on the usual controller.
> I added a SATA drive to increase memory.  The bios allows
> the the boot order to be changed, so I was able to install
> XP on the SATA drive and boot it.
>
> I installed FC4 to the SATA drive and used the advanced
> install option to write the boot to the SATA drive.  But
> Windows still booted directly, no Grub.

This probably means grub got installed to the MBR of a device that's not
the first one BIOS tries to boot, or you installed it onto a partition,
and XP goes is on the MBR.  Are you really sure BIOS knows that it's
supposed to boot the SATA drives first, _AND_ that the SATA controller
is set to boot its disks?

You're installing both of them on the SATA drives, and trying to put
grub on the MBR of the SATA drive?  What are the IDE drives for?

Let's get some data.  Run this as root:

modprobe edd
find /sys/firmware/edd/*/pci_dev/

What's it show?  Assuming there's an int13_dev80 and an int13_dev81 (and
any other directories you may see) in /sys/firmware/edd/, cat each
"host_bus" file, and be sure you show us which one's which, i.e.:

vroomfondel:/sys/firmware/edd/int13_dev80$ cat host_bus
PCI     00:1f.1  channel: 0

(I need to know how "int13_devXX" matches up to the contents).

then run "lspci", and paste the output here as well.

And then we'll at least know if the bios is completely useless, totally
full of misinformation, or (maybe) if there's an actual bug that we can
fix.

--
        Peter