rawhide report: 20050621 changes

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Jun 22 00:04:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 07:02 -0400, Build System wrote:

> cairo-0.5.1-1
> -------------
> * Mon Jun 20 2005 Kristian Høgsberg <krh at redhat.com> 0.5.1-1
> - Update to cairo 0.5.1.
> - Remove gtk-doc files, since --disable-gtk-doc doesn't work.
> - Disable gtk-doc and add freetype and fontconfig BuildRequires.

I'm curious to know what cairo means in terms of performance for users.

I've read some really good stuff about it, but it all seems to rely on
"taking advantage of display hardware acceleration when available (eg.
through the X Render Extension or OpenGL)" (to quote from the
cairographics.org web site).

What does this mean for users without hardware acceleration?
What does this mean for users with NVIDIA and ATI cards who don't have
support for 3D rendering because current open source drivers aren't
offering support for this?

Given that gtp+-2.7.x (and beyond) is going to rely on Cairo for
rendering, I'd really appreciate it if someone in the know could give a
heads up on what this means for all users (since most of the focus
(media wise) seems to look at hardware accelerated environments).

Any comments?

Rodd

 It's much better on my side"