mkfs.ext3 on 500GB drive

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 23:27:48 UTC 2005

I have a LaCie 500GB/firewire drive, and I've been at this thing all
day.  Took me awhile to get the firewire/fedora to actually see it and
seems the only things that have worked:

mkinitrd --with=sd_mod --with=sbp2 --with=raw1394
/boot/initrd-2.6.12-1.1400_FC5.img 2.6.12-1.1400_FC5

/etc/rc.local

/sbin/modprobe sbp2 serialize_io=1

Currently trying:

mkfs.ext3 -v -O sparse_super -O dir_index -R stride=8 -N 120000000 -j
-F /dev/sda1

Everything I have done has not work, I tried xfs too.  Currently as
this is formating I see this in dmesg

$ dmesg | tail
sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
    Additional sense: No additional sense information
sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
    Additional sense: No additional sense information
sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
    Additional sense: No additional sense information
sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
    Additional sense: No additional sense information
sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
    Additional sense: No additional sense information

I assume this is going to suck and explode too.

Anyone have any tips what-so-ever for formating a LARGE slice?  This
was supposed to backup my raid5 server but so far, I can't even use it
and it took me long enough to get Fedora to see it.  Or I can give up,
hand it to my wife, format it with ntfs and let her use it directly to
backup her photo work. (really really don't want to do that)