mkfs.ext3 on 500GB drive

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sun Jun 26 01:15:49 UTC 2005

On Saturday 25 June 2005 20:15, Justin Conover wrote:
> # dmesg | tail
> lost page write due to I/O error on sda1
> sda: Current: sense key: No Sense
>     Additional sense: No additional sense information
> ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command
> scsi0 : destination target 0, lun 0
>         command: Write (10): 2a 00 38 67 a5 d7 00 00 10 00
> SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x50000
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 946316759
> Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 118289587
> lost page write due to I/O error on sda1
>

> The firewire interface further up is a pcmcia card on my laptop, I
> have also tried it on another box with the same results
>
> # lspci -v | grep 1394
> 02:0c.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host
> Controller (rev 46) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
>
> And my server currently has
>
> # lspci -v | grep 1394
> 00:11.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port
> (rev 04) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
>
> I put the card in my server because I didn't have any other firewire
> sitting around.  I was thinking of getting one of the following:
>
> FireWire 800 (1394b) 3 Port, 32-bit PCI Host Adapter With Deluxe DV
> Editing Software and 1394 DV Cable
> Manufacturer: SIIG
> Mfg Part #: NN-831012
> Product Number: 50320715
>
> or
>
> 3 Port FireWire 800 PCI Card
> Manufacturer: LaCie
> Mfg Part #: 107755
> Product Number: 50280126

The chip you have is fairly common - my desktop has the same and works just
fine. That together with the error you got above seems to indicate an error
on the actual disk drive.

If it was me, I'd rip open the storage unit, take the drives out, connect them
to a pc and run the manufacturers drive fitness test program
(http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ if you don't have a copy of the software).

Peter.