mkfs.ext3 on 500GB drive

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Mon Jun 27 06:36:36 UTC 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 18:36, Horst von Brand wrote:
> I don't think so. The most expensive part of a disk is the head assembly
> and such (witness the prices for different sized disks of similar make and
> performance), putting in two makes no sense. It is probably just larger
> platters (thus larger casing).
I think you're missing the scope of what LaCie does... :-)
They do not manufacture harddisks, they make external enclosures using
standard disk drives - Last I heard they were using mostly WD...
To offer large capacities (their enclosures go up to 2TB) they use an internal
controller and several smaller harddisks.

Peter.