Question about speed

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue Jun 28 14:55:30 UTC 2005

Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> wrote:
> Matthew Miller writes:

> > > Latency of keystrokes. I press the key and the feedback is oo so slow.
> > > In my case it's TTS feedback, not on screen, but same principle. Both
> > > machines have the exact same TTS board (ISA) and software drivers, both
> > > running FC4, but this was also true FC 3.

> > Hmmm. That should be next to instant on either system. I wonder if
> > something is simply configured badly and introducing a delay.

Note that in my experience a good or bad motherboard can make worlds of
difference between machines. I.e., an i386/25 being quite a bit faster than
an i486dx4/100 when compiling kernels... one a Novell certified mobo (quite
expensive in its time), the other a el-cheapo mobo from the PC store at the
next corner.