unable to open initial console - non-fedora kernel

sean darcy seandarcy at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 23:32:35 UTC 2005

I've fc3, with released updates. I'm trying to boot the 2.6.11-rc5 kernel so
I can use the new dvb drivers for mythtv. When I do I get:

"Warning: unable to open an initial console."

CONFIG_VT and  CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE are set.

I make the kernel, make modules_install. cp the kernel to /boot, configure
grub.conf. No initrd.

The kernel itself boots fine ( so it found the console once ).  The warning
comes at the end after "Freeing unused kernel memory: 196k freed"

Is there some udev or selinux magic in fc3 that's making this happen?

sean