MSI K8N Platinum/Diamond audio detection NEWS

Cimmo cimmo at libero.it
Fri Mar 25 14:15:19 UTC 2005

Hi,
I've discovered a lot of thing about my integrated audio in my MSI K8N
Platinum that has a Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24 bit.

There is a bug in alsa 1.0.8 that prevent the correct detection of MSI
K8N's audio chip.
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=901
Bug will be fixed in 1.0.9 and is just fixed in CVS.

In 2.6 kernel the patch is already in 2.6.12rc1
FROM
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/ChangeLog-2.6.12-rc1

<perex at suse.cz>
	[ALSA] Add support for Audigy2LS on MSI motherboard

	CA0106 driver
	Add support for Audigy2LS on MSI motherboard.
	Fixes Bug #0901

	Signed-off-by: James Courtier-Dutton <James at superbug.demon.co.uk>
	Signed-off-by: Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de>

Fedora Core 4 kernel version 2.6.11-1.1191_FC4 has all 2.6.12rc1 patches
(right?) and also alsa patch for MSI.
So I've installed this kernel, now soundcard seems to work but still
this issues:

1) volume control panel won't open (I've used alsamixer to put up the
volume but no luck)
2) if I play an audio file seems to be played well (with old kernel no
soundcard alert popup), but there is no sound.
3) system-config-soundcard still crash (I think it is unrelated to my
audio chip) --> see attachment.

I'm the only one that I've this kind of motherboard and Fedora Core 4
test 1????

help please
Marco