last two kernels

Jason Vas Dias jvdias at redhat.com
Sun Mar 6 18:21:13 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 12:23, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> jim cornett wrote:
>  >
>  > After installing the last two kenels from rawhide. I could not
>  > access  the internet. kernel-2.6.11-1.1166_FC4 and 1162 would
>  > aquire an address from my router, but would fail for pop and
>  > http. I was getting the 192.168.x.x address without problems.
>  >
>  > Would this be related to a program external to the kernel, protocol
>  > or what? I tried dhclient and it did not seem to help with
>  > resolving the connection problem.
>
> friday night, i installed weeks worth of stuff w/yum including fc3 770
> kernel and on reboot connection stopped working. dhcp would work, but
> everything else was host not reachable. i rebooted with previous two
> kernels and still no network connection. something else in the updates
> eliminated the default routing for 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0.
> i edited network configuration and added it to static route ... and then
> the next time, it said that default static route wasn't supported ...
> but at least it got rid of the host not reachable.

Check if 'GATEWAY=' is defined in the ifcfg-ethX files
for which you have BOOTPROTO=dhcp .
If so, removing it may fix your problem.

dhclient will now honor GATEWAY, and attempt to set
the default route to GATEWAY if it is on the subnet
received from DHCP - otherwise , if GATEWAY is set
and not on the DHCP subnet, it sets no default route.

system-config-network leaves static configuration
settings in ifcfg-ethX files for DHCP interfaces.
This should be fixed with the next version of
system-config-network (bug 149780).