x86_64: Some update issues

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Thu Mar 17 00:42:26 UTC 2005

I startet to perform an update of an core 3 installation:

- My quite old monitor (NEC Multisync LCD 1700nx) still a "unknown
monitor"

- the upgrade process did not touch the MBR as it was told

- upgrade did mostly work: desktop ok, but all the open office icons
missing, desktop adopted to the new style  / layout / menues

- while shutting down after finishing the installation a lot of warning
messages: GTK .....  deprecated

- xorg seems to be quite slow. After logging in the Gnome splash screen
is shown for a unusually long time ( > 1 minute)

some more serious problems:

- setfont complained about "input file: unrecognized characters at the
end of file" (translation of the German message), but no obvious problem
arised so far

- open office does not start (but crashes silently without any message)

Peter