Fwd: Octave?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 19:55:53 UTC 2005

It appears that octave has been removed from Fc4-test.

I find this to be rather unfortunate, as I often cite octave as one of
the fantastic professional grade tools that are just 'there' on
Fedora.  I don't know that being able to say that open office contains
dozens of languages I don't speak carries the same importance as
having octave.

If you use the metric of 'used by most users' and apply it to all the
packages, you could probably get the distribution down to a single CD,
two for sure.

Historically packages in extras have not been as well maintained...
and there isn't an easy way to download isos and install 'everything'
(where everything includes extras) from physical media, at least not
that I'm aware of.

If media count is a primary motivator, why not split the distribution
up so that there is a 'base' which fits on one CD, 'complete' which
takes no more than one or two DVDs and includes all packages that are
expected to be of a high quality, and 'extras' ... which has
everything else?