FC4 t1 on minimac Xorg questions

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Mon Mar 21 06:39:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 18:07 -0600, Bret Hughes wrote:

> I used a graphical install with no problem other than the fact that
> anaconda never asked me to to configure x and left the box in a butt
> ugly 640X480 8 bit vga mode.

Hmm, thats the job of firstboot

> I also never had a chance to add a non root user.  Isn't all this a
> firstboot thing.  I saw something in the list archives but thoutght I
> would mention it for another data point.

Bugzilla, though iirc, firstboot not starting seemed to be a heavily
reported bug

> I ran system-config-display and selected the 9200 and a generic LCD
> 1024X768 monitor and it looks fine.
>
> dmesg and Xorg.0.log report drm and dri in use.

Very nice. No Xautoconfig foo required

> glxinfo says direct rendering is used.  glx gears gets about 9 fps,  And
> no I did not froget to put a 0 in there it reports nine frames per
> second.

Hmm, I don't think you're getting accelerated 3d tbh. In fact, with a
Radeon 9200 on x86, you might not be getting it either

If its a Radeon 9200SE, it almost always fails. I don't know what exact
video card the minimac has, so lspci output might help

> Next I dl'ed MPlayer and tried to compile it.  gcc 4x is not supported
> in the configure script so I used --disable-gcc-checking and after the
> warning about using a non supported complier, configure completed OK

export CC=gcc32
then make mplayer

You need the compat packages

fedora-ppc at lists.infradead.org might offer more help too :)