Installing Java Development packages

R. Jensen linuxuser at rhjensen.com
Mon Mar 21 22:19:26 UTC 2005

I have managed to install a basic workstation configuration
of FC4 test1 from DVD and updated the system.
(The messages about updating yum and gdm were very helpful).

I am now trying to install the Java Development group
from the DVD. It's a bit surprising that selecting that
group only chooses 5 of 133 packages.

I'm not sure what limitations exist in the installer.
(Am I correct in it being called anaconda?)

It seems like there are further groupings:
  xalan-j2
  junit
  jdepend
  xerces-j2

in which the javadoc, manual, etc are separate packages.

Is there a way that these second order groupings could be
chosen (and maybe have a preference of whether javadoc, manual
demo is standard or extra) instead of having to comb through
the whole list?

Also, there is no apparent ordering of this list of packages.
The first item on my list of extra packages (in Java development)
is xerces-j2-javadoc-impl and the last is ant-apache-resolver.
The 11th from the end is xerces-j2-javadoc-other.

It feels like I have to comb through the entire list of 133 items
multiple times to make sure I have the java-related items I want.

Is this a limitation of the tool, or simply an artifact of being
a test1 release?

Richard.