FC4-T1 Installs (Long)

Steve Fink stevef at netvantix.com
Sun Mar 27 15:32:44 UTC 2005

Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-7VKMP
AMD Athlon XP Processor running at 1250mhz
Maxtor 80GB HDD
Sony DVD-RW
2 Realtec 81390 NICS

Software:
FC4-test1 on DVD from DVD.iso obtained from torrent.

Initial install was a Custom install choosing to allow Disk Druid to
partition the drives automatically using the entire HDD,
No Firewall (I like to add it later),
SELinux Disabled,
then adding Editors,
Authoring & Publishing,
Games and Entertainment,
Development Tools,
X Software Development,
Gnome Software Development,
Administration Tools and System Tools.

The install completed fine and everything looked as expected and I
rebooted.

RHGB started during the first boot and there were several errors about
Gtk.FALSE being deprecated and to use FALSE instead.

Firstboot did not start and I was unable to add an additional user.

I logged into the system as root, the system hung just after drawing the
cursor and background, I did not see the Splash Screen start.  I allowed
the system to sit for approximately 10 minutes and nothing.

I did a CTRL+ALT+F2 and received a red background console and tried to
login.  The login hung also, I moved back and forth between consoles and
received a psychedelic screen with fantastically colored vertical
stripes. I hit reset and rebooted the PC.  After a second RHGB with the
same Gtk errors I once again logged in as root and received the splash
screen.  I was able to add a user and logout.  I then attempted a login
as the newly created user, to no avail.

I then started over this time choosing an Everything install.

I rebooted and was greeted with Firstboot and able to input a user.

I attempted a login as the user and waited.  I never received a Splash
Screen.  Moving through the consoles once again resulted in the vertical
lines.

I then wondered if the problems with the console and such could be
related to the Onboard S3 video.

I installed a Nvidia GeForce 3 Titanium card and booted the system.

RHGB failed and FC4 booted in text mode after booting GDM started as
expected and I logged in, the screen sat at the same place with no
splash screen for approximately 10 minutes.

I then moved through the consoles and was able to login with no
problems.  All vertical lines were gone.

I went to bed at this point.

Returning after 6 hours of sleep did not change the login issue.

I am now going to reconfigure and try the install on an Intel processor
to aid in troubleshooting.

Best,

Steve