Successful FC4 install from virtual DVD.iso on VMWare 5

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Mar 30 02:56:24 UTC 2005

Richard Gardner wrote:
> WinXP Host
> P4 2.4GHz / 1.024GB RAM / 80 GB HDD
> VMWare 5.12888
>
> Chose Legacy install so I can import it later to my ESX 2.5 server.
> Ergo, I chose SCSI 0:0 6GB, pre-allocated, all one file.
>
> Graphical install, chose all defaults except no SeLinux, no firewall
> Set my host name, otherwise, all default.
>
> Here was the only way I could get past not walking back and seeing a frozen
> screen, with non-responsive mouse.
>
> Choose MINIMAL install.
>
> Reboot, THEN go install what you want...  Just in case, during install, I
> moved the mouse in slow motions the entire time... no idea if that actually
> helped, or just kept me "involved" =)
>
> GL. Richard.

I installed a workstation class (FC4T1) with only additions of mc and
lynx to the fold. The installation took less than an hour and worked
fine except for the gdm problem relatedto max CPU usage . (No internet
for test machine to access internet.)
  Adding an account when booting into runlevel 1 and then rebooting to
runlevel 3 allowed firstboot to kick in (I didn't know what it was at
first quiete a different looks from the GUI version.) starting X from
another VT worked fine with no noticable failures.
I was disapointed with the lack of screensavers and the limitations to
add/remove programs. It seemed that the listing was the same listing
used by the installer. The program was hard to find components desired,
so mounting disk 4 (guessed it would be there) and using rpm -Uvh
xscreensaver*.rpm got the extras installed. I guess add/remove needs to
be designed with a filter feature where you could type xscreen in a box,
then it would list possible programs and resolve any needed programs later.

VMWare 5 looks promising though (linux beta). I did not have nearly the
problems that 4.5 exhibits.

Jim