Firefox etc. default homepage

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sat May 7 17:08:18 UTC 2005

lør, 07.05.2005 kl. 17.52 skrev nodata:
> On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 14:32 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > Today we use the release notes as standard homepage for all browsers,
> > instead of whatever is upstream default. Why do we do that, while
> > constantly repeating the mantra "upstream!, upstream!, upstream!"?
> >
> > In my personal opinion, the release notes belong in "help" or something
> > like that (even a shortcut on the standard desktop would be more
> > intuitive) - not as the standard homepage in every browser.
>
> Why should loading the Google homepage be more correct that showing the
> release notes for the operating system I've just installed?

Because the average end-user (non-admin) is more interested in googling
for her friend's hollyday picures than reading a bunch of
non-interesting technical documentation.

> Google has nothing to do with Firefox, except that it's a search engine
> that I might use with it. People that want to use Google can type
> something in the search box.

And it is upstream default. People see "firefox" and expect to have a
google search with firefox tips as the standard homepage. Perhaps it
could be made into a google (or whatever) search with fedora tips?

> > This confuses people, and addmitedly, the release notes aren't that much
> > usefull to the users as the standard homepage - especially in firefox,
>
> Who does it confuse? Why were they confused?

They are confused because the browser looks like firefox but doesn't
behave like firefox.