Nvidia Dance...

Simon Lanzmich WormLineFiles at gmx.de
Tue May 10 12:52:28 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 09.05.2005, 02:21 -0400 schrieb Charles Lesh:
> Hey all:
>
> I've been happily using FC3 with binary nvidia drivers for a while.
>
> I've also been playing with rawhide, which is sweet, but a no go with
> binary nvidia drivers.
>
> If I remember correctly, FC3 test releases and the initial release
> itself could not handle the binary nvidia drivers due to changes in
> the kernel.
>
> Without flames, and understanding how evil binary drivers are, should
> I expect a significant delay and lots of screwing around between the
> release of FC4 and the nvidia drivers working? (I like to call this
> the nvidia dance.)
>
> I wish I didn't need the binary driver, but I have a laptop, and have
> found no other way to drive a second monitor ('twinview"), which I
> need to do when I give presentations. Sadly, this why windows is still
> on one of my partitions.
>
> -cjl

Why is rawhide a no-go with the binary nvidia drivers?
I use the binary drivers from the NV-homepage on a fully updated
FC4test2 system and they work very well.
OK, it is a little annoying to recompile the module after every kernel
update, but this can be automated to a certain level.
So what exactly does not work for you?

Simon