rpmbuild rejects "Copyright:" in .spec

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat May 14 16:40:36 UTC 2005

Apparently the "Copyright" tag has been removed from the rpm spec
language.  It has been replaced with "License".  One result is:

  $ rpmbuild -ta jove4.16.0.65.tgz
  error: Legacy syntax is unsupported: copyright
  error: line 35: Unknown tag: Copyright: Copyright (C) 1986-2002 by Jonathan Payne, freely redistributable

This is the first I've heard that this tag was deprecated.  Surely it
would be better to issue a warning for a release cycle before
completely rejecting it.  This is unlikely to take more code since
"Copyright" is still being recognized enough to note that it is
"Legacy syntax".

Apparently this is not a new complaint.  But FC4 is the first place
I've bumped into the problem.
	http://www.redhat.com/archives/rpm-list/2005-February/msg00049.html

What makes this more annoying for me is that Jove is my normal text
editor so it is what I would normally use to fix this kind of problem.
I don't have it on my new machine to fix itself.

The Jove distribution attempts to support old systems, including those
before "License" was introduced.  That support will have to be
dropped, at least as far as RPM is concerned.  (Jove supports UNIX
distributions as far back as 7th Edition -- that's how much we care
about support for old systems.)