ipw2200 and network manager

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu May 19 06:15:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 22:26 -0700, malcolm northcott wrote:
> Following Dan's lead I noticed that there was no firmware.... probably
> not good. I downloaded the latest ipw2200 driver and firmware from
> ipw2200.sourceforge.net (1.0.4). After installation everything worked
> fine.
> Presumably the ipw2100 is also missing firmware.
> Is the missing firmware an oversight or is it due to an IP issue with
> binary firmware?

It's due to the license of the firmware (and the interpretation of that
license, which seems a little vague and unclear).  Sadly Intel don't
seem that responsive to addressing the issue.

It's been discussed here, in fedora-devel and on the redhat-legal (???)
list so search for discussion there (before it blows up into a thousand
threads again).

R.
 It's much better on my side"