any chance for areca raid driver patch in FC4?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Tue May 24 10:53:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 14:09 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

> Another issue is the burden it adds to the distro kernel maintainer
> (ie, me right now).  There are two 'add-on' drivers in the Fedora
> kernel tree right now (ipw2100 and ipw2200), and it's a complete
> pain for me to have to run off and download extra drivers, bend
> them to fit the fedora kernel, fix up any additional problems
> that get reported etc. I really regret my decision of merging them,
> though I know there are countless users of those drivers who are
> glad that I merged them.

Dave,

Given the burden it is maintaining these drivers, I'd just like to take
the time to thank you for doing so (along with the great work in general
you do with getting the kernel ready for FC).

As someone who, with my last network card, had to recompile the driver
with each kernel upgrade (and you don't realize (well maybe you do) how
many kernel upgrades there are until you have to recompile drivers for
each kernel), I can't tell you how nice it is to have these drivers in
the kernel and to have my hardware Just Work (TM).

So, thank you so very much.  You time and effort in maintaining these
drivers is really appreciated.

Rodd.

 It's much better on my side"