GTK+ fileselector issues (was Re: Firefox - why is it better?)

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed May 25 00:18:12 UTC 2005

> > I just love the way that when I ask firefox to open something
> > in /usr/bin/emacs, it takes five minutes to do so -- even _after_ I've
> > actually typed <Ctrl-L> "/usr/bin/emacs" <Enter>. Sometimes I have to
> > select 'emacs' again after it's finished scanning the whole of the
> > contents of /usr/bin.
>
> Again, has anyone filed a bug against this.
>
> Surely this could be fixed by having the file selector quickly check
> whether 'emacs' is a file or a folder and if it's a file then open it
> without first doing a folder search.

Actually, while having a look through gnome bugzilla and preparing to
file a bug against this (it seems to be a unique example worth some
thought) I noticed that what is happening here is actually correct.

By this I mean that pressing:

	<Ctrl-L> "/usr/bin/emacs" <Enter>

should open the "Open Location" dialog, locate the file '/usr/bin/emacs'
and then close the dialog.

After this it's appropriate that it then lists all the files in the
folder (although the files shouldn't take so bloody long to load ;-]).
It's quite reasonable for the file selector in the case above to assume
that you may also wish to select other files from the directory.

I'm assuming that the problem is that pressing

	<Ctrl-L> "/usr/bin/emacs" <Enter> <Enter>

isn't as responsive as it might be.

The first <enter> should close the 'Open Location' dialog, the second
should close the "Open File" (fileselectory) dialog.

Is this really the problem?

Rodd

 It's much better on my side"