authd and ident

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun May 1 19:41:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 10:24:48 -0500,
  Mike Chambers <mike at netlyncs.com> wrote:
> Ok, I was told (I Think on IRC) before of how to get authd working to
> help with ident on IRC.  I think there was an option or something on it
> (or a file it uses) to remove to help (mainly if it was working without
> doing this, the IRC username@ was scrambled).  I can't even get authd to
> work, much less doing the scrambling part.

There is a version of ident that returns whatever string you want. Unless
you have multiple people using your box, you probably want to use that
tool instead. It is simpler and is less likely to have security vulnerabilites.

Are IRC servers still requiring ident? That is pretty lame these days.
It made sense once upon a time to provide a way to ban individual users
on a timeshare system a number of years ago. These days almost no one
is going to be doing that.