gam_server CPU eater is back

Sylvain Rouillard RouillardSy at yahoo.fr
Tue May 3 12:45:05 UTC 2005

Hi Daniel,

That's true, I wasn't very specific, the main aim of my mail was to know if it
was a problem at my end, or if it was a problem that was observed by many
others.

Actually, after I posted this mail, I decided to kill gam_server, like in the
good old days, to see what it does. Well, this seemingly fixed the problem
for a bit. Now that I look closer, gam_server seems to be using the CPU by
growing waves, so to speak. It's peaking at 10% now, I'll see if peaks keep
going up. My system has been up for 4 days now without a reboot, so, if my
observation is confirmed, it could very well explain how it ended up peaking
at 100% after 4 days.

>From my perspective, I do not see how resource changes could lead to such a
behavior (growing peaks over time), but then again, I could be completely
off, hence my poll for other's input on that. I can also not understand how
killing the service would fix that 'problem' if it is only related to
resources changes (which rate was presumably unchanged by the murder of that
poor gam_server). But then again, this may very well be due to my own
ignorance.

I'll keep watching what gam_server does anyway :-)