Apache Virtual Hosts

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Thu May 5 21:24:47 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 14:03 -0500, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> Try adding a ServerName directive to the first (default) virtual host
> entry.  You should be able to remove ALL IP address specifications.  You
> should only have one NameVirtualHost directive, and it should read
> "NameVirtualHost *:80" and each virtual host entry should begin with
> "<VirtualHost *:80>" and should contain one ServerName directive and any
> relevant ServerAlias directives.  The ServerName directive in your first
> VirtualHost entry should probably be the same as your main ServerName
> directive.

I've corrected the problem. The only thing that had any effect was
adding a port specification to the default virtual host. If it's
set to port 80, everything starts working. This is accomplished
through the HTTP Configuration tool by changing it from
"Handle all remaining requests" to "Handle all requests on port: 80"
Makes no sense to me, and seems like a some sort of bug...

However I'm happy since my setup now works - I can now add
my server's domain name into /etc/hosts, and be able to access
my virtual hosts from the machine itself.

I need /etc/hosts, because my Internet connection is somewhat flaky,
and when it breaks GNOME goes insane, and takes forever to do anything
at all, because it's constantly trying to resolve the machine name.

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University