Openoffice media player

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri May 6 17:44:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 16:08 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> Xine certainly had a jump start on gstreamer, but I believe that
> gstreamer tries to do a little more than xine in terms of functionality.
> Regardless, with GNOME using is for the media backend and KDE very
> seriously looking at it (offering the chance at a unified media
> framework across desktops - a Good Thing (TM) in my opinion*) Fedora
> would be made to ignore it.

Fully agree.

I'm a bit of a Xine fan myself, and i think that currently it still is
the "overall best" media player (on par with mplayer for regular media
files, plus it handles DVDs a lot better). But definitely gstreamer has
a better architecture.

There's no need for bashing either project. Both are great. Just use
whatever suits your needs.

My feeling is that gstreamer will legitimately become the media player
of choice for the majority of users at some point in the future. It's
just a matter of time until all the major media formats are handled by
gstreamer plugins.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/