FC4-test2 latest: Sound stops (alsa/xmms/crossfade/arts)

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Sat May 7 00:53:45 UTC 2005

After xmms has been running for about a day, it will not start playing a
new track.  This can happen either while xmms is playing or pressing play
after xmms has been stopped for a while.

Getting it to work again requires exiting xmms, then "killall xmms", and
then a "alsactl restore", and finbally restarting xmms.  If I don't do
the killall, then the buttons on the side of the notebook won't control
xmms ("Couldn't grab XF86Audio{Next,Prev,Play,Stop): another client may
already have done so").  Before killing xmms today (after exiting the
program) there where two process remaining: one started yesterday in
state SLl, the other started 6 hours earlier in state Ss.

The crossfade plugin is using the output plugin "ALSA 1.2.10 output
plugin".

Ogg123 can play music while xmms can't.

Last week, while playing Konquest this happened and I got a lot of aRts
errors stateing something like the server was too busy.  Eventually, I
got a big error window that said I could disable aRts (or somnething to
that effect) and I haven't seen these errors since.

Should I file a bugzilla report?  Against which package?

I'm using:
	xmms-crossfade-0.3.8-4
	xmms-1.2.10-15
	alsa-utils-1.0.9rc2-1