Firefox etc. default homepage

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Sat May 7 19:21:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 17:52 +0200, nodata wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 14:32 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > Today we use the release notes as standard homepage for all browsers,
> > instead of whatever is upstream default. Why do we do that, while
> > constantly repeating the mantra "upstream!, upstream!, upstream!"?
> >
> > In my personal opinion, the release notes belong in "help" or something
> > like that (even a shortcut on the standard desktop would be more
> > intuitive) - not as the standard homepage in every browser.
>
> Why should loading the Google homepage be more correct that showing the
> release notes for the operating system I've just installed?

..Umm, because if you really are religiously following the "Upstream"
mantra, it's the most logical choice regardless of the OS I just
installed. Then again, Firefox behavior with respect to installation of
extensions and location of certain things on Fedora is not consistent
with where Firefox normally puts things either. Both the Firefox and
Fedora teams seem to have good reasons for the way they are doing things
as well.

> Google has nothing to do with Firefox, except that it's a search engine
> that I might use with it. People that want to use Google can type
> something in the search box.

It also might be that Google does indeed have something to do with
Firefox. Didn't they hire the Firefox lead developers and do some other
behind the scenes support? Isn't that also at least partly why Google is
the default search engine in the search bar, despite others also being
there?

> > This confuses people, and addmitedly, the release notes aren't that much
> > usefull to the users as the standard homepage - especially in firefox,
>
> Who does it confuse? Why were they confused?

Actually, it confuses the average Joe user of Fedora (like my mother,
for instance) who doesn't really give a rip about reading the release
notes.

I agree the default page in Firefox likely isn't the best place and
would prefer an alternate but easy way to access them.

I also think this is more of a tempest in a teapot as well. My mom, for
example, just changed the default page to be what she wanted.

...without reading the release notes or complaining the default was set
that way.

Cheers,

Chris

--