yum update fails after FC3-->FC4T3 upgrade

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:00:12 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, Don Russell <fedora-test at drussell.dnsalias.com> wrote:
> Everything seemed to go fine, until I tried to "yum update" after first
> boot: It looks to me like it's going to a bad URL for extras... but why,
> and how do I correct it?

compare
rpm -ql fedora-release |grep /etc/yum.repos.d/
ls /etc/yum.repos.d/

any file in /etc/yum.repos.d/   that is not part of the fedora-release package
runs the risk of not working correctly after your upgrade.  Your
pre-existing extras repository definition from fc3 is most likely one
such file.  And make sure you don't have any lingering repo
definitions in /etc/yum.conf that you have added. In fc3 yum.conf
comes with no repository definitions.

You'll notice that the fedora-release package should come with a
fedora-extras-devel.repo, which should contain the vesion of extras
approprate for test releases and the development tree.  Your older
extras definition is most likely now redundant if you have the
fedora-extras-devel.repo file.

You also need to be on the lookup for .rpmsave or .rpmnew files in
that directory, which rpm will create if it sees a modified config
file timestamp. Instead of replacing the modified config file, rpm
will either keep you modified file as it and create a .rpmnew file
with the new default config OR If will replace the modified config
with the new default storing your older modified config in an .rpmsave
file.  It's a generally useful rule of thumb to look for .rpmsave or
.rpmnew  config files if you experience trouble with an application
after updating that application.

-jef