syslog stopped logging on x86_64?

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri May 13 18:09:22 UTC 2005

On May 13, 2005, at 10:28 AM, Jason Vas Dias wrote:

> Please raise a sysklogd bugzilla on this - there have been no
> reports of this kind before.
>
> syslogd has nothing to do with /var/log/lastlog - that's
> a utmp/wtmp like login log . Please raise a bug against
> shadow-utils for the incorrect size - I'm getting incorrect
> sizes for this file on i386 too:
> $ ls -l lastlog
> -r--------  1 root root 19136220 May 13 11:15 lastlog
> $ du -ks lastlog
> 33      lastlog
>
> Please gather an strace when you can reproduce the syslogd
> problem:
>
> # strace -p `pgrep syslogd` >/tmp/syslogd.strace.log 2>&1
> # logger hello
> # pkill strace
>
> And append the /tmp/syslogd.strace.log to the bug report.
>
> Does the problem persist after clearing out /var/log/messages ?
> ie. back up /var/log/messages if you want to save it, and do:
>  # echo '' > /var/log/messages
>  # service syslog restart
>
> Thank You,
> Jason Vas Dias.

Hi Jason, thanks.  Before I enter a bug report, I have noticed an
error message on the console when starting syslogd, which is also
shown when starting syslogd with -d:

# syslogd -d
Allocated parts table for 1024 file descriptors.
Starting.
Called logerr, msg: network logging disabled (syslog/udp service
unknown).
logmsg: syslog.err<43>, flags 4, from hell, msg syslogd: network
logging disabled (syslog/udp service unknown).
Called fprintlog, logging to CONSOLE /dev/console
Called logerr, msg: see syslogd(8) for details of whether and how to
enable it.
logmsg: syslog.err<43>, flags 4, from hell, msg syslogd: see syslogd
(8) for details of whether and how to enable it.
Called fprintlog, logging to CONSOLE /dev/console
Debugging disabled, SIGUSR1 to turn on debugging.

The network logging message is still there even after I removed all
the remote logging stuff from syslog.conf.  There is a syslog entry
in /etc/services, so I'm not sure what else could be causing that
error message.

-Jeff