Cyrus IMAPd removed from FC4???

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon May 16 17:33:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 13:09 -0400, Don Casey wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 12:42 -0400, Don Casey wrote:
> >>  If the comunity would like to have Cyrus-imapd as part of the distro
> >> would it not be put back in. My main use of Fedora is as mail servers
> >> and
> >> I like the customization that is available with Cyrus. I would
> >> understand
> >> switching to Dovecot if only it were a completed project with 1.0 and
> >> there dovecot-sasl.
> >
> > Just so I understand your perspective and the consequences of the
> > decision to move it from core to extras may I ask you if its location in
> > extras vs. core a burden or impediment to your use of cyrus-imapd? It's
> > still there, it's still supported, it's just in a different repository.
> > If you would like to present a rational for moving it back to core I
> > will be an advocate for you, but the rational at the moment has to be
> > more than "I dislike its location" for your argument to carry weight.
> > Fair enough?
> > --
> > John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>
> >
> > --
> Wow John,
>
>  I did not think I would get flamed for asking such a general question.

Argh... email is so open to misinterpretation. It wasn't meant to be a
flame, rather an offer to help if the decision was creating problems for
you. FWIW, the topic has been hashed out previously.

> When Dovecot gets their sasl out and has a complete
> package I will also experiment with it as well.
>  Since we are still in the test phase of Core4 and Dovecot is in the beta
> of 1.0, why is it not part of the install?

The 0.99.14 version of dovecot was included in Fedora Core 4 because at
the time FC4 was entering the test phase that was the stable version. In
the last few days a new stable version was announced, but it's way too
late in the FC4 release schedule to introduce a completely new version
of a package, FC4 is effectively frozen. We might have considered
including the new version had it appeared much earlier in the FC4 test
phase.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>