FC4T3 Report, Dell Latitude D800

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Tue May 17 12:16:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 01:21 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 07:17 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 17:40 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > > Flawless install.
> > >
> > > Am I the only one that has to disable SELINUX to get the closed source
> > > NVIDIA driver to install correctly?
> >
> > That's a feature, not a bug ;)  No, seriously, please file a bugzilla
> > against selinux-policy-targeted with the relevant avc messages from
> > your /var/log/audit/audit.log file.  Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Stephen Smalley
> > National Security Agency
> >
> I think I would disagree with the need to file a bug against the Nvidia
> drivers and SELinux.  I don't want to sound to negative here as the
> Nvidia closed source drivers are really great(luv the Doom3), but let's
> not encourage the behavior of Nvidia in this regard.
>
> I would say that it is enough that the Livna folks know how to work
> around the issue with their RPM and that we post this information
> somewhere that it can be "Googled" easily.
>
> I would like other folks opinions in this matter.

<opinion>
I respectfully disagree. *Not* fixing a bug in Fedora's selinux targeted
policy because we disagree with the behavior of a closed source provider
is ..well.. an immature response. NVidia's behavior with their drivers
and Fedora's bugs are two separate issues and should be handled as such.

So fix the bug.

...And then separately express displeasure with NVidia's behavior and
keep the pressure on them, in a positive and professional way, to change
their policy.
</opinion>

Cheers,

Chris