java compiler "sdk" ?

Robin Green greenrd at presidium.org
Wed May 18 10:32:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:04:59 -0500, Justin Conover wrote:
> Ok, a little more confusion on my part, if in the before exapmle javac
> -version was pointing to eclipse, why do I get this with alternatives:
>
> # alternatives --display javac
> javac - status is auto.
>  link currently points to /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj/bin/javac

Because the Eclipse Java compiler (ejc) is currently used as the Java
source to bytecode compiler of the Fedora gcj suite. You can also use gcj
-C to compile Java source code to bytecode, but ecj has better support
for newer language features (and also it's written in Java itself, which
is cool.) If you run /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj/bin/javac you will see
that it gives the same output as javac, because the latter points to the
former.
--
Robin